Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The New York Yankees



The New York Yankees are in a race to the finish to see if they will top the Eastern Division of the American League (they are now 2 1/2 games ahead of the Tampa Bay Rays - their closest competitors).

I admit to being a Yankee-phile and look forward to them winning another pennant and hopefully another World Series.  But let's look at a little history.  I wasn't always in favor of the Yankees.  Some years ago I did not want to see them succeed; I thought they were too rich and could buy their way to victories, etc.

What changed my mind?  It's rather not what changed by mind but who.  Two people became part of the Yankee organization and those two helped turn my loyalty around to supporting the Bronx Bombers.  The two are Joe Torre (former Yankee manager) and team captain Derek Jeter.  Both are to me examples of quintessential gentlemen who work hard and play hard but are good examples of what good sportsmanship is all about.  There was some diminution of my affection for the Yankees when they failed to offer Joe Torre a reasonable contract a few years ago which saw him leave and become manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.  But Torre is still loved in NY (witness the reception he received the other evening at the ceremony for the unveiling of the Steinbrenner monument).

Derek Jeter is a remakable baseball player - both offensively and defensively.  He no doubt will someday be placed in the Hall of Fame but still has some good years of playing ahead.

So thanks to Joe and Derek for helping me to like the Yankees and let's hope they go on to victory again this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment